We spend almost a third of our lives asleep. Couple this with growing interest in sustainable homewares, and it’s no surprise green bedrooms are an emerging trend. As cost-conscious consumers, we no longer want headboards that can’t weather more than two moves or sheets that tear and fray within a year. There is a growing distinction between sustainable choices and the trend-fuelled mass consumption linked with less desirable practices and production.
Today, sustainability no longer has to be complicated or expensive. As part of our mission to lead with sustainable and luxurious homewares, lovingly made, we’ve highlighted five industry tips to make bedrooms more sustainable. Try a few in your own home!
Before we go on, it’s essential to consider what sustainability means. There’s no one approach. Integrating choices that support the stewardship of our planet can take many creative forms, including:
- Choosing products made of renewable raw materials
- Boycotting products with harmful substances
- Prioritizing durable, high-quality products that reduce waste
- Supporting businesses where people are treated and paid fairly
- Buying local to reduce the transportation footprint
When considering how to integrate these principles in the bedroom, our priority at Sömn Home is to support wellness and sleep with products made from material cycles that are clean and residue-free. Like any other consumer goods, considering production cycles is essential to creating an environmentally friendly space.
- Make the bed eco-friendly
The solid wood bed has enjoyed a great revival in 2023 due in part to the fact that resource-efficient materials, including sustainably cultivated wood, have become an industry trend. When choosing a mattress and pillows, be aware that claims of natural and sustainable aren’t always backed by stringent standards. Try looking for labels like GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) or GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard). GOTS requires products to be made of 95% certified organic materials, while GOLS requires pillows or mattresses made of latex to contain 95% organic latex, with strict guidelines around the remaining 5%.
- Opt for sustainable, luxury linens
Pure linen sheets are not only produced from renewable, water-efficient flax, but the fibers are also incredibly robust. Sheets and bedding make all the difference to deep, uninterrupted sleep cycles. At Sömn, our eco-friendly linen bedding is recyclable, antibacterial, and sweat-wicking. Additionally, we spin, dye, weave, sew, and finish our textiles in one facility to minimize our carbon footprint, with production that relies on non-metallic dyes and fewer chemicals.
- Freshen the room naturally
In winter, chilly weather and closed windows can lead to mugginess and bad smells. Rather than chemical fresheners and gels, which may contain harmful phthalates, homeowners are now opting for mood-boosting, air-purifying plants. As accents that blur the boundaries between indoors and out, potted plants appeal to those favouring a greener/fresher/healthier home. Top choices include English ivy, snake plant, aloe vera, and pothos.
- Celebrate lightbulb moments
Energy-efficient lighting is a great green alternative that doesn’t cost much. Not only do Energy-Star-certified bubs consume 90% less energy, they also contain fewer toxic materials. With soft, bright, and daylight options, these bulbs may be used to create soft layers of light for a tranquil, nuanced ambiance.
- Try green detergents
Eco-friendly cleaners are the one case we’ll make for “greenwashing.” Look for detergents that are eco-friendly, natural, non-toxic, and plant-based. Products with third-party stamps from EWG (Environmental Working Group), Green Seal, and UL Ecologo limit the use of toxic ingredients. Even better, materials like merino wool have natural antimicrobial properties. Used in pillows or duvets, the natural lanolin repels odour-causing bacteria, which means using less detergent in the wash cycle.
Eco-friendly is the new mindset
At Sömn, we’ve watched eco-friendliness shift from a fringe interest to a consumer standard, especially among millennials and Gen Z. A recent survey from PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) shared that sustainability has become a crucial factor for people investing in homewares. It has grown from an individual lifestyle to a social movement, where everyday choices like investing in eco-friendly linen sheets are part of building momentum to protect our future.
Today, more than ever, we all want honest, sustainable materials in our homes. In the bedroom, this means products consistently designed, sustainable, and supportive of healthy sleep. Why would we settle for anything less?